Skip to main content

E, erg verb, ergative verbs, V, Verbs, ambitransitive verbs

 MrSkypelessons
David Nicholls

ERGATIVE VERBS

1) the weather was changed (by whom). << incorrect
2) the weather changed. << correct

3) We broke down. (Our car broke down on the motorway) -- break down - intransitive verb
4) I sneezed. (sneeze -- no object) intransitive verb

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
AMBITRANSITIVE

the verbs read, understand may be used either (transitively and intransitively)
5) I've read the book. ('the book' is an object) -- transitive
6) I've been reading for ages. -- intransitive

7) I understand -- intransitive (no object)
8) I understand you -- transitive verb (you is the object)

ERGATIVE (object of an intransitive verb can be the subject of the intransitive verb)

1) Dave closed the shop. -- active (close is an ergative verb)
2) The shop closed. -- active (close is an ergative verb - transitive verb 'close' used intransitively)
3) The shop was closed. (by Dave) -- passive





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C, D, V, Delexical Verbs, Verbs, Collocations, Delexical Structures

Delexical Verbs, Verbs, Collocations, Delexical Structures  Englishing Delexical Structures   Delexical verbs (TERRIFIC - English Grammar you need to know !)
resources_Video_01 MrSkypelessons   MrSkypelessons Words words words Words, words, words 2 Fronting Lesson 1

C, Causative verbs, Passive Causative, verbs, English Grammar, grammar, engVid, engVid_Alex

 Learn English with Alex [engVid] English Grammar: Passive Causative   Make, Have, Let, Get, Help